The role and person
We are seeking a full Microsoft stack developer to design, modify and configure our business systems to provide first class digital services for our customers and colleagues on our journey to being the no.1 Housing Association in the UK.
Our business systems include ActiveH, Unit 4 BWO Finance, Access Select HR System, QlikView, Website (Umbraco), Skype for Business, and Geomant Contact Expert [contact centre software].
Helping to deliver our Digital Transformation Programme
You will operate as a Digital Development team member within multi-disciplinary project teams to deliver new applications, improvements, and system changes – simplifying services with the end customer in mind. You will bring an authoritative system and data view to the team with the ‘art of the possible’.
As a Software Developer, a typical week might include:
- Working directly with users at all levels of the business to understand their challenges and requirements, ensuring systems are developed for maximum benefit. Working with business experts, change managers and third-party software suppliers to optimise solutions.
- Delivering additional functionality to existing bespoke systems. Designing and producing high quality applications, workflow routines and configuration code.
- Developing, documenting, testing and implementing changes. Applying agile delivery processes. Using application management software and tools to investigate issues, collect performance statistics and create reports. Ensuring that all requests for support are dealt with according to ITIL standards and procedures.
- Working with service delivery and development teams to commission and design web-based snapshot tools and reports within our ActiveH Housing Management System to facilitate control, performance measurement and management.
- Working with other teams to facilitate better data quality within our systems. Where required, design the means to populate systems, cleanse data and interfaces between systems.
- Identifying and designing improvements to reduce cost and / or improve service whilst maintaining stability.
- Working with other organisations to integrate databases
- Providing 2nd and 3rd line support for incident and release management
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant legislation and security protocols and specifically that which relates to Data Protection.
- Devise and provide workarounds to system problems that are stopping the business from delivering its responsibilities taking account of the overall process and system configuration and retaining the integrity of the data held within the system.
- Provide relief and ad hoc support, working within the ICT release management processes, responsible for the planned, safe release of newly developed functionality into the live-production environment
- Work cooperatively with all stakeholders to improve and optimise ICT capability.
- Prioritise and implement requests for change to system, working in partnership with suppliers and Business Analysts. Ensure that the quality of ongoing service is maintained through the change process by providing suitable handover, training and support during go-live.
- Create technical documentation to allow the solutions to be maintained and further enhanced by others. Create user documentation to allow the solution to be used by the business (or any other end user).
- Ensure that all release and deployment packages can be documented, tracked, installed, tested, verified, and/or uninstalled or backed out, if appropriate
- The role is responsible for the support of a range of technologies and therefore there is the necessity to keep up to date with current technologies and best practices. This will require some elements of self-study.
The must haves
- Logical & methodical mind with the ability of pre-mapping workflow using design products.
- Providing support on key business applications and the surrounding infrastructure, including second line user support and third line technical support.
- Optimising the use and performance of applications and databases and working with third-party suppliers to tune system operation and solve problems.
- Using database software to create, populate and manipulate data structures.
- Experienced in participating in project-related change, considering and managing all aspects: users and, technical impact and responsibilities.
- Prepared to undertake continuous professional development, self-study and/or training in order to keep abreast with current and emerging ICT trends, development technologies and practices.
- An understanding of the interdependence of business and ICT strategy and how new ICT systems can provide a basis for introducing new ways of working.
- Patient, logical mind, good analytical skills, problem solving skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Occasional need for evening & weekend work particularly at key times to ensure the systems are available for use during office hours
- Remain calm under pressure
- Empathy and respect for others (e.g. customers, colleagues, contractors)
- Commitment to equal opportunities and diversity
- Positive attitude and commitment to good customer service
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Can demonstrate enthusiasm towards the role
- Positive/can do attitude
- Effective problem-solving skills
The added extras
- Experience in VB.Net, VBScript GIT /TFS
- Experience of working within a group environment with conflicting organisational and personal priorities.
- Experience of working with groups in different locations and therefore managing ‘at arm’s length’ using conferencing technology.
- Production of plain English management reports and the production of formal proposals or formulation of plans based on careful estimates considering all opportunities and risks.
- Experience of building applications using Lo-code tools
- Experience in QlikView; advanced Excel & VBA, Crystal Reports
- Degree educated or equivalent professional qualification
- ITIL Foundation or better
- PRINCE2 Foundation or better
- Agile change management
- SQL related training
- Knowledge of MIS ActiveH System
- Awareness of Accent Group’s aims and purpose
At Accent we’re a keen promoter of agile working and encourage the use of working from home as our new way forward.
Should you wish to work occasionally from any of our regional offices, you may do so on a hot desk basis, available from September.
The spot salary for this post is £42,591 per annum for applicants who fully meet the requirements of the post. Applicants, who do not meet all of the requirements of the post, will start 5% or 10% below the spot salary.
- 28 days paid holiday per year rising by 1 day per year up to a maximum of one working week
- Option to purchase additional holiday of up to 2 of your working weeks (at managers discretion)
- Cycle Scheme
- Learning & Development opportunities
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A choice of salary based contributory pension schemes, a defined benefit scheme or a defined contribution scheme, each offering life assurance cover
Who are Accent?
We own almost 22,000 houses across the north, east and south of the country.
They are home to over 35,000 customers. We exist to improve lives, providing people with high quality homes, affordably. Whatever their housing need, whether family, single, older or more vulnerable – our customers come first. They are always at the very heart of our business.
If you feel great about delivering excellent services to customers, then we feel great about you joining the Accent team.
And we are a team. We live and breathe our values – we are smart, we are driven, we are caring and we are inclusive – are you? If you can do what’s right and challenge what you think is wrong, relish the opportunity to work with some fabulous colleagues to improve the customer experience and make sure we keep to our promises, then you are the person we are looking for.
Come and join us and start your own journey with Accent. We aim to be number one, and you could help us get there.