Newcastle Office Based
Competitive Salary and Benefits
At a time of buoyant activity and growth for the business, we’re looking for a talented, energetic and commercial Head of Legal to lead our in house Legal Team through the next phase of growth. Orchard’s Legal team consists also of an In-House Solicitor and a Contracts Administrator. In this role you will provide leadership and counsel at all levels of the business and help to protect and drive Orchard forward in an increasingly complex and technical marketplace.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the COO, the Head of Legal has full responsibility for all legal and contractual matters relating to new and existing business tenders, suppliers, customers and professional advisera. The Head of Legal will be a key member of Orchard’s Co-Executive Team and will attend monthly Co-Executive meetings.
In addition, this role will have key exposure to the Board, Executive Team and Heads of Service on all legal matters.
The Head of Legal will also have responsibility for ensuring the Group complies with data protection legislation.
Legal and Contractual
This is a high impact, commercially focused, senior legal role. In this role you will have full responsibility for all legal issues in the business, including:
- Assisting and supporting the Board in all legal and contractual matters
- Leading, drafting and the negotiation of the full range of Orchard contracts for software development and licencing, SaaS, PaaS, hosting, consultancy and service level agreements
- Responsibility for the continuous improvement and updating of Orchard’s legal agreements and processes
- Supporting due diligence projects and providing commercial analysis for any partnership arrangements and / or acquisitions
- Instructing and liaising with professional advisers and insurers as required
- Working with the In-house Solicitor to review and propose changes to contracts proposed by suppliers and prospects to ensure they best meet the requirements of Orchard and comply with obligations to third parties
- Providing company secretarial support as required
- Maintain a current knowledge of relevant developments in contractual law
You will be responsible for leading and managing the Legal Team. You will support and develop the team and manage the allocation of work.
- Be a UK qualified lawyer with at least 7 years relevant PQE experience ideally with an IT/Software background, gained from either private practice or in-house positions.
- Have relevant experience of contract law in a commercial environment, ideally within the IT/ Software domain.
- Be a strategic leader and have managed significant corporate initiatives.
- Be a capable and respected people manager (leader) who is also capable of rolling your sleeves up and getting things done.
- Be able to influence at the highest level internally and externally
- Be confident and professional when dealing with suppliers and customers
- Have excellent communication and organisational skills
- Be able to work under pressure and to tight timescales
- Have significant knowledge and understanding of data protection and intellectual property law
Salary and Other Benefits
- Package commensurate with skills and experience
- Company pension scheme
- Permanent health insurance and life assurance
- Westfield Health Cash Plan Scheme
- 25 days holiday and an additional Birthday holiday
To apply for this role, please email email@example.com with a CV and covering letter.
The company reserves the right to vary or amend the duties and responsibilities of the post holder at any time according to the needs of the company’s business